« Back to Search
Impact of Resident Led Didactics on OBGYN Clerkship Shelf Scores and Student Satisfaction
Purpose: Compare NBME shelf
scores prior to and after implementation of the Wednesday lecture
series.Compare satisfaction scores of students prior to and post implementation
of Wednesday lecture series. Scores would be obtained from the Aesculapian
Society who evaluates students’ overall perceptions of clerkships
· The ACGME and LCME has designated teaching as an
accreditation standard with numerous competencies. Residents serve as clinical
teachers for medical students with studies indicating that residents spend up
to 20% of their time teaching medical students.
· In a national survey 60% of students reported that
they received their teaching from residents and fellows during their obstetrics
and gynecology clerkships.
· In 2015-2016, the department of Obstetrics &
Gynecology at Louisiana State University School of Medicine-New Orleans
implemented a new lecture series for 3rd year medical students.
· Wednesday Lectures: High yield OB/GYN topics
delivered by chief resident.
· Lectures designed to complement Team-Based Learning
· Shelf exam scores from 2011-2017 were reviewed and
compared across the training sites.
· Control Group: Baton Rouge and Lafayette based
students who do not receive the same lectures.
· Aesculapian Society Evaluations.Scores before and
after implementation were examined
· Positive correlation in resident teaching and
· Positive correlation in NBME scores and satisfaction
· Student experience and satisfaction may vary by
location based on clinical exposure and opportunity
· No standardized resident-lectures amongst all
· Future Implications: Standardized implementation
of resident led didactics. Our goal is to Implement ACGME recommended
‘Resident-as-teachers program as already established in other institutions and
improve shelf scores over the next 5 years.
CREOG & APGO Annual Meeting, 2019, Student, Resident, Faculty, Clerkship Director, Clerkship Coordinator, Osteopathic Faculty, Residency Director, Residency Coordinator, Medical Knowledge, Professionalism, Systems-Based Practice & Improvement, Interpersonal & Communication Skills, Practice-Based Learning & Improvement, GME, CME, Assessment, Lecture, Team-Based Learning, CREOG & APGO Annual Meeting, Student, Resident, Faculty, Clerkship Director, Clerkship Coordinator, Medical Knowledge, Professionalism, UME, Assessment, General Ob-Gyn,